Saturday, March 5, 2011

Renewing Your Mind Pt. 1

I went to a conference today that my good friend B invited me to.  It was entitled Renewing The Mind and the speaker was Dr James Rennie.   His key Scripture was Romans 12:1-2

 1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

(emphasis mine)

It was a great conference!  I am still processing what I heard and what impacted me the most.  I was most impressed with Dr Rennie's Bible knowledge!  He barely consulted his Bible as he recited dozens of verses and actually apologized for having to read his Bible when he did not have the occasional verse memorized!

Our evangelist at my church did a whole series of messages on this verse last year and it was great to hear it again.  I needed to hear it again.   The first point that stuck out to me today was:
  • The first characteristic of a renewed mind is humility before God.
Confession time. I have always been weak in my Bible study. I saw again today that not making my Bible study a priority is arrogant and prideful.  It's like saying to God that I don't need your wisdom and guidance.  Why do I not change when that is pointed out to me by God or other people???  Why??  Is it just a matter of opening my Bible and reading?  I never know what to read.  And when I read the Bible, often it is like reading a kid's storybook.  It doesn't affect me. It is not real to me.  I marvel at how preachers can read and flesh out a verse or few and make it real and applicable to our lives now.

I think I will do a series of posts on this topic of renewing your mind.   I am going to go back to Ron's message too and take things from them and this conference and hopefully and prayerfully, I can finally change this in my life!

I would appreciate it if you could help me in this. I will need all the help I can get! Do you have any comments, suggestions, rebukes, or encouragements that might help me?

Thanks!!

What I have eaten today:

Breakfast
They had continental breakfast at the conference.
I had yogurt, a banana, some strawberries, and a banana muffin.

VERY LATE Lunch (4:30 pm)
1 bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats

Dinner
1 plate of scrambled eggs with 1 piece of toast.

PLUS
3 cups of coffee with flavoured creamer
NO chocolate

At least 2 sets, 10 reps each leg of hip extensions
1-7:48 am
2-10:09 pm

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts/comments? I would love to hear them!