Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Do I really need something more to help me?

I have been falling quite a bit lately (including today again) and have been thinking I need more support when I am walking than just a single point cane I have been using for 10 years.

I spoke with the occupational therapist last week.  She did not think the quad cane would be great.  She actually had me thinking that a rollator walker might be OK!

So she is bringing both for me to try on Thursday.

But since then, I have been having second thoughts about whether or not I really need something else.  I know that I need to eat better (and I am addressing that) and that I need to get more exercise (and I am just starting to address that).  Perhaps if I do both of those things, my balance and walking will improve.  And I might not need this extra aid I am contemplating now.  But, too, my condition is progressive.  I will continue to get worse.  Even if my eating and exercise help and get me to the point again where I am OK with just a single point cane, there will come a time when I will need more.

It's a lot to think about and pray about.


What I have eaten today:

Breakfast
1 smoothie with frozen fruit, yogurt, milk and 1 egg

Lunch
1 BLT on whole wheat bread
chocolate milk (chocolate fix!)

Dinner

spaghetti with homemade sauce.
(shhhhh  Don't tell a certain 17 year old that I cooked and blended up broccoli, onion and green pepper and put it in the sauce.  More veggies for all of us and she is none the wiser!  And the sauce was amazing!)

PLUS
3 cups of coffee with flavoured creamer
chocolate in the milk at lunch and the ice cream
Yes, I said ice cream.  I had 1 bowl of Heavenly Hash ice cream!  It was a treat,  I REALLY wanted a sweet treat tonight.  So much for all that exercise today!  :)

At least 2 sets, 10 reps each leg of hip extensions
1-8:20 am
2-5:16 pm
3- 10:30 pm

I think I did about half an hour of walking today too!  Which included a fall into a snowbank getting off the bus.  :(  My glasses and I went flying!  A young lady was there to kindly help me.  I am OK.  Just more wounded pride and loss of dignity.  :(

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts/comments? I would love to hear them!